Thats nicely said, Sameer - "nothing is really good or bad..there are
different ways we can enjoy".  I used to (and still do) love surprises, but
my husband always believed in taking me to the store and buying what I
really wanted..bcos I had(ve) the reputation of returning/exchanging a lot,
so he used to say, u will anyway return what I buy, so why don't u select it
in the first place..that used to disappoint me, as I felt there was no
surprise element.

I got married when I was almost 25 (that used to be considered a bit late
for girls, especially when your peers got married long b4 u did), I had my
first son after 5 yrs of marriage..bcos at that time we felt we shud spend
more time just the two of us, like u mentioned Sameer..but later on I
questioned that decision, wondering if it wud've been okay to have had the
kids much earlier, if it wudve been better to have had a smaller gap
age-wise with the kids..its human tendency to question one's own decisions
or thoughts..not that I regret anything today.

Yes I agree Sushma, after a few years of marriage, gifting, or forgetting to
gift your better half on special occasions seems trivial, and there is not
much expectations on that area.  Afterall there are a lot of other ways,
better ways, to express love.  These material things don't matter anymore.
Arch..after years of understanding and togetherness, just an eye contact, or
sharing a smile on something silly you or your kid did, or some thought u
shared..is enough to feel content (do I sound like an old hag? hehe)  And
ofcourse, those little tiffs and arguments and later on making up keeps the
flame alive :-)

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this..its really interesting to
hear different views on the subject.

Cheers!
Indu


On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Sameer Chhatre
<[email protected]>wrote:

>  Talking about this. I like to gift my wife but she doesnt really care. Not
> because she doesnt love me, but thats the kind of person she is. This holds
> true not only for valentine's day but for all occassions. I personally dont
> like it because I believe that love should be expressed. Therefore we have
> decided that when we feel like gifting ya phir jyada pyaar aa raha hoga (it
> hardly happens these days given kids and busy lifestyle) we will talk about
> gifting and if she wants anything at that time she will tell me.
>
> No one gifted me anything for my birthday because I could never celebrate
> it. Its in may and in may there is school vacation. So no one sang for me.
> Hence I dont remember other people's b'days bar a few.
> When we were newly married, i was filling some form and I typed wrong date
> for my wife's b'day. She was there and she just corrected me and didnt mind
> at all. We both laughed.
>
> When we all met last time, we were talking about life mei kya reh gaya etc,
> I said I should have lived single for 1 more year in Australia and then just
> the two of us before having the first kid for another 2 more years. Someone
> said he didnt get to live even for a year by himself and got married at 23?
> So I thought I got a bit more time than this person. I know a few of us got
> married when I was still studying engineering.
> Like Subu said, we haev to live with it really. and its not bad. There are
> different ways we can enjoy.
>
> Sameer
> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:47:57 +0000
>
> Subject: Re: Views on marriage
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
>
> I must be indeed sounding trivial to you guys. I even told his mom that I
> was angry he didn't remember. She didn't guarantee he would remember every
> time..."he is like that...if he remembers he will, if he won't, he won't.
> You should not mind it." how helpful is that -- he will remember and may not
> remember....well there are only two such possibilities anyway.
>
> But i find it very silly to discuss with my mom-in-law. Oh Nooooooooooooo!
> Sushma, I do hope a lot though...and guess what it turns into demands.
>
> :-)
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Sushma Salian <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>  after years of marriage, gifting, forgetting to gift & getting sad about
> it seems to be trivial & no gifting seems to be the better option to keep
> the peace of the house & mind maintained. where there's hope there is
> despair, (asha karoge to nirasha hogi)- very pessimistic- or realistic? any
> comments on this, anybody...
>
>  ------------------------------
> *From:* subramaniam sreenivasan <[email protected]>
>
> *To:* [email protected]
> *Sent:* Thu, February 18, 2010 5:26:45 PM
>
> *Subject:* RE: Views on marriage
>
> It started on 14th Feb 2010 for me and by me... when there were no gifts ..
> till then, there was, always. Now, if you look at it positively, gifts
> become lower priority because with time people find so many other ways to
> express their love.
>
> But dont you worry, it will not happen to you. Given how thoughtful Vaskar
> has been, inspite of being far away, tells me that you will be receiving
> gifts until you are 80.
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:01:39 +0000
> Subject: Re: Views on marriage
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
>
> Subu, i would really like to know how it started...in terms of V-day,
> birthday, anniversary...and when giving gifts started dropping from the
> priorities. This will be hugely beneficial to me.
>
> I was actually angry with Vaskar, thinking he is never going to remember.
> He is not with me, he is in Delhi...to join me here in April. I sent him two
> personalised cards but no flowers or anything. as i was angry even before
> the day had arrived assuming he won't care or remember...and then on
> Saturday...i was completely surprised to get the goodies.
>
> Left me feeling miserable anyway, for having such negative thoughts about
> him. Ours is almost an arranged marriage...we are still knowing each other i
> guess. I would think that matters. No?
> arch
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
> now. <http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Australia's #1 job site If it exists, you'll find it on 
> SEEK.<http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157639755/direct/01/>
>

Reply via email to