Jeff,
I really want to stay out of this but here are a few things to consider.When I
started the Sowbug, I had allowed that the tyers could sell their flies at
their stations. It was agreed by the committee. Then we decided that there
should be a central place to sell the flies. All tyers that wanted to sell
flies would give the flies to a designated member who would set up a station to
sell their flies. Of course, this became a hassle so the tyers went back to
selling their flies from their stations. At that time we only had a couple of
vendors, some were resorts, not fly tying related. I don't know what the policy
is now about selling at the stations as I am not involved with the policies of
the show anymore. The Sowbug show pays no one to participate, not even the big
names that come. All we do is give all a BBQ on Friday night.
As for selling at the big shows, I had to sell flies in order to participate in
the shows. It would cost me up to 400.00 to do a show back East. That would not
include my materials.
Transportation would be close to 100.00, motel rooms close to 100.00 a night we
would not even get a sandwich for doing the show. What I spent was out of my
pocket so selling flies would make up part of the cost. If I was not there I
could not educate the people on the flies I was tying, so it was selling flies
to do the show or stay at home.
It is a catch 22.
I don't sell flies at the shows I do now  though it still costs me money out of
my pocket, the last out of state show this past May cost me 300.00.
You do the Sowbug and it does cost you to come down here and tie at the show.
If it were not for tyers like you, there would not be a show but consideration
has to be given to tyers that might do 10 shows a year. It can add up in
dollars. This is the reason I quit doing the big shows, It was just costing me
too much out of pocket money.
Tony