On 4/25/06, Jen Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I find the whole situation constantly problematic -- and is one of the
> reasons I am not going to teach in this setting again. Too many
> students, not enough time to talk about these issues, deep deep
> energies circulating that are sexist, racist, homophobic... many of you
> would not believe how horrible and offensive half the work made around
> here is. And it's defended in the name of "not censoring" the students.
> I don't believe in censorship, but I do believe in discussion.

Interesting in light of an article I was just reading about how many
schools are trying to stop their kids using MySpace (even from home)
and/or punishing kids who post nasty things about each other,
teachers, etc., no matter where they posted it from.

But apparently Temple feels that anything goes in the name of student freedom.

Perhaps there is, or will be, a correlation between students who spend
their high school years being ridiculously oppressed and censored and
those who go wild in college expressing themselves in all sorts of
"inappropriate" ways. Recent reports (which I have not read) about
on-campus nudie magazines would also seem to tie into this.

It comes back to a point that I keep making: teach kids to use the
Internet (and every other form of communication) EARLY and
RESPONSIBLY, rather than trying to rope them off from this big scary
place. Then they have a good chance to grow up to be young adults who
use the Internet responsibly and with due respect for the feelings of
others, as well as their own reputations.

--
best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

www.beginningwithi.com (personal)