> I find this quite an interesting thread, and especially in the wake of
>  Pixelodeon, I find it interesting/strange/concerning/exciting that
>  there is an interest in taking these small format works and putting
>  them up on the big screen.  Watching video on a big screen with a
>  group audience vastly changes the way we experience the moving image,
>  so it really takes the videos out of the original context.  I'm not
>  saying that's good or bad (though at Pixelodeon I think many of us
>  experienced how wonderful that can be.  Long live the movie theater!),
>  nor do I have any particularly well formed thoughts on that at the
>  moment, but I thought I'd throw it out there since it hasn't been
>  addressed.

haha this is very cryptic.
yeah, its the whole argument of 'does a web video still mean the same
thing out of the blog'.
i find that some videos definitely need the text post to give it
context. or need to be seen with all the other videos on the blog to
make sense.

For all the hype and academia around it, i find that few people are
really making "interactive" videos that can only exist online.  most
people are telling stories and making video art just as
always....except now more people are doing it!

>  --I'd just like emphasize the importance of informing the creators of
>  the videos that their works are being shown, even when CC-licensed.
>  This is often overlooked by film festivals, and I find it quite a
>  frustrating practice.  Not that we vloggers would ever do this!  But I
>  just had to throw it out there, as sometimes that little detail can
>  get overlooked when trying to deal with all the logistical issues that
>  go into putting on a screening.

most definitely.
contacting curators just helps promote and makes people feel good.

>  --There are obviously lots of filmmakers/curators/enthusiasts out
>  there that have been putting on these kinds of screenings for a long
>  time, so perhaps tapping into the film community could help to answer
>  some of the logistical questions that have been posed.  It seems nuts
>  to re-invent the wheel in coordinating screenings when others have
>  been polishing the process for a long time.  I'd be happy to
>  contribute to a wiki in this respect.

when I first started videoblogging, I thought the
independent/microcinema/avant-garde film community would be the
easiest to reach. boy, was i wrong. Try talking to a guy who made a 5
minute film about putting it online. forget about it. 128 reasons why
itd be a bad idea.

Brook Hinton, who's on this list, can attest to the difficulties since
he works from within the film community. Lots of bureaucracy,
overthinking, fighting over grant money, struggling to get into
festivals and museums. its a different world than just putting a video
on a blog.

So this is not to deny that bridges should be made to the film
community if you know how....but definitely dont let them stop you.
you can hold a screening in a parking lot on the side of a building.
in your backyard. in any space using a white sheet and a projector.
Lots of cinema spaces (like Pioneer in NYC) just want butts in the
seats and are open to anything.

I think its even better to attract a crowd that isnt so precious about
video making.
to me, the point of vlog screenings is to celebrate what's being made
each day all over the world....and to encourage people to make their
own. i like the idea of screenings that is not just art....but
personal, newsy, etc etc. Web video has a different flavor all
together since many people arent being hindered by a lot of
indoctrination. usually, people just make things that their friends
will like.

>  --Lastly, Senor Aaron Valdez has created an ever-growing map of
>  microcinemas in the U.S. that may come in handy for such planning:
>  http://www.wayfaring.com/maps/show/1151

great resource.

jay

--