good references and truths.

i dont know/follow kent.  never watched the ninja thing except unavoidable
clips.

i know that their is this history, as you point out Rufus, of the clash of
highly creative media and diluted processed media (mass media).   net video
creators exercised a freedom from corporate ties.  some of them are actually
talented.  And some of those will get scooped up to be advertising puppets.
some will cut better deals to maintain their creative freedom and receive
fair returns from success (if any).  Good for them.

i think what may be disturbing to some is when net video
producers/actors/creators play on an angle geared towards the indie creator
revolution... and do so with an aggression that makes it inevitable for them
to contradict themselves.  it's not too different than politics where you
have Obama, as an example, playing to an audience so that he can be
propelled and then his tune changes a bit when he no longer fully depends on
that initial audience.
The same could be said about the starving "artist" of today.... seemingly
being the independent new media creator/entertainer.  The only point here is
that some people will say and do anything to get crowd support... and they
may even believe what they say... but success brings hard choices of
reality.... which always comes down to money and the deals that are taken
help to maintain the momentum (or illusion) of success with the assumption
that people will understand the tough choices that must be made.
Besides, it's 2008 now and you can't be revolutionary for too long.  A new
breed may be needed to follow those before them.  Until the day that the
dollar bill is flapped in their faces too and the decisions will be made
once again.

i believe that if art is what you are looking for, whatever art is to
you.... you will have to sift and seek and filter.  it cannot be expected
out of this new crop of media creators.  it may exist here and there...
again, dependent on what you think is quality "Art". so we cannot easily
define it here in some thread on a mailing list.  The key is not to expect
it from independent media creators but hope that it seeps out now and
again.  befriending good people that you trust will help to find interesting
things.  Which is why Schlomo is on to something with the Tracker idea.