Rupert's absolutely correct, of course.  In addition, ever since the
advent of the moving image, there have been "outsiders" making moving
image art - from magic lantern producers in the 1800s to 16mm
avant-garde filmmakers and 8mm home movie enthusiasts mid-century and
video artists in the 1970s and 80s.

And these outsider (and underground) artists *paid* for their work to
be seen - they invested in the materials of production, and often put
up the funds to have their work screened in a venue.  This is still
the dominant model of independent and avant-garde filmmaking - you
invest up front, *pay* a film festival to *consider* screening your
film, and then, if you're in the tiniest minority, your film might get
picked up for distribution or win a monetary award.

Even Stan Brakhage, one of the most prolific, widely acclaimed, and
accomplished of experimental filmmakers, never came close to earning a
living from his work alone.  He taught.

So I guess my point regarding Information Dystopia is that as much as
I'd like to see artists better compensated for their work, whether
through public funding or individual donations, as requested in the
video, the disconnect from this larger history makes the call for
compensation feel more like hubris than a revolution. The situation we
are in as artists on the web is nothing new in terms of trying to make
money. To me, as Rupert has stated earlier, the greater revolution of
the web is in the possibilities for removing our work from commodity
culture - making the work free, accessible, open, and remixable.