Nokia has been closed up until now.  The N900 using an open source OS
is a radical departure for them - they've been a traditional,
hierarchical closed company.  Thus many fewer apps.  Also the apps are
more functional, less fun for straight mobile phones.  The moment you
bring in a touch screen with a large screen surface area and good
resolution, the more things you can do with it.  And then add the
financial and career incentive of creating a successful app for the
world's most popular mobile computer.

I think you're right, though - Nokia have had to raise their game
massively because of the iPhone, and the N900 is definitely a
desperate reaction to the iPhone and their subsequent drop in market
share.  Making it open and using a slightly different technology for
the touch screen is a gamble, but I think it might pay off.  I'm
already scheming video apps for it.