I disagree. Nokia started down this path with their Internet Tablets, the 770
and 800, which pre-date the iphone. So they've had their toes in the water for
a while, including opensource. I had an N800, it had some real nice features
but it suffered from the usual problem when compared to the iphone: clunky, and
not enough polished apps = not as much fun.

Open source is not the be all and end all, developers may care more about
having a feature-rich platform to build on and which offers good opportunities
for monetizing their work. Open source certainly has its advantages, everything
Apple have done wrong with app store and approving apps and being control
freaks reminds people of the benefits of being opensource, and stops us from
blindly swapping nightmares involving the mobile phone networks being
gatekeepers, for nightmares where the device manufacturer is the gatekeeper.
But the open source movement has its own woes and downsides, to date I only
really consider it a massive success with certain webapps, eg wordpress, and
probably a few desktop apps but not many really. And the Apple app store also
opens eyeballs by demonstrating that people are still quite prepared to pay for
apps if the experience is deemed good enough.

Open standards and interoperability fascinate me more than open source apps. On
the web I have to rely on many services that are provided by corporations, and
the same is true for most hardware. But at least if some commons standards are
used with this stuff, it gives us some flexibility and freedom. With the
exception of Internet Explorer, Im very happy with where the web and browsers
have been going in regards to standards, HTML5 and friends will hopefully
eventually give us a pretty comprehensive multimedia experience that will be
common across platforms and will allow people to buy slightly locked-down
hardware without all of the associated pain.

Cheers

Steve Elbows