I am working with a number of filmmakers and small distributors who would
like to sell streaming rights for their films. It is an eclectic group but
mostly documentaries
and classic films. Most, but not all can sell lifetime streaming rights, but
some can only sell for their own contract term which is probably about six
years.  I should mention some of these films are institutional only and sell
for a few hundred dollars each and others are available retail for around
$30. In most cases PPR rights would also be included and many of these are
films that actually get screened on campuses. Streaming prices seem to be
all over the map these days. I was thinking of roughly $200 extra (beyond
the current sale price) for singledisc titles and $300 or more for
multi-disc sets. As mentioned not all of the films will have lifetime
rights, but even those for which the term would only be 6 years would have
to be at the same price point. It would be possible to license a film for
less for one time/semester use. Standard restrictions would apply such as
going on password protected system and accessible only to students or
faculty using them for a specific course.

Besides pricing the other big issue is the "access" issue. These filmmakers
do not have the money or time to set up their own servers so they would be
selling a physical DVD for which the institution could digitize and put on
its own system.

I would like to know any general feedback to the above and if many of you
are now buying or licensing streaming rights for classroom films.

You can email me on list for discussion or off list for more details etc.
email is jessicapros...@gmail.com