We have similar issues as stated by the previous responders.

We normally only acquire online products that are available to the entire university community - not just a particular class. We believe in equal access to all and we can't anticipate who will find a resource useful for the teaching, learning or research. This also saves us time and makes it easier for staff and library users to understand the terms of our resources - as they all tend to have similar educational use rights with no commercial uses and it means we can use the same authentication system for all.

We prefer in perpetuity rights for items that we need to host and catalogue - as it costs us to do both of these and tracking rights is time consuming - as is deleting e-content when rights expire. We do track a handful of limited term rights for DVDs but would prefer not to have to do even this with our staffing levels.

We do subscribe to online databases of videos hosted by others - so we don't need resources to catalogue (although may add MARC records to our library catalogue if provided). The advantage to a hosted online video database is that the vendor or distributor has control over the contents and can add or delete titles as rights are acquired or expire - and every other single library doesn't need to duplicate this work. And the Library has a set subscription price renewed annually that it can budget for. We also prefer subscribing to a database with a large number of titles rather than ordering these individually although some selection by subject area or academic level can be desireable.

Hope this helps.
Marilyn

--
Marilyn Nasserden