I suspect the big rights holders who  license large collections (Swank and
the two Criterions) will move to some sort of annual fee to use anything
they have. Not sure if that works, but again I suspect that is what they
will do.

As for the pricing I don't think I can do much about that for "my" stuff.
You are dealing with someone who may have only one or two films and even
those with somewhat larger collections don't  yet seem ready to do this by
file as nearly all are at still at the DVD model
of sale. They don't have the time or the money to do much more than provide
a DVD. They have access to other materials but they would charge signicantly
more.

I will take what you, Michale and others said about access under advisement
but again I think they will want an additional fee if they think the use is
going beyond what they perceive as either class related or research.

Thanks for the feedback.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Bergman, Barbara J <
barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu> wrote:

> I understand the issue of film distributors not having the right to sell
> perpetuity rights, but it will reduce sales.  Items that have to be paid for
> more than once are much more time-consuming.
>
> Items that have to be renewed are treated as serials. Which get treated
> differently than one time purchases.  Serials have to be approved by a
> committee.
>
> Library systems aren’t well setup to track and flag individual licenses.
> For periodicals, the vendor sends us a big bill that lists everything, we
> say okay and send payment.
>
> Would it help if we word it as life-of-format?
>

> I would be okay with the suggested pricing if I were being given a file to
> load. If I have to do the digitization as well as hosting, it’s a bit high.
>

> If we’re licensing for ongoing use for however many years, we must be
> allowed to provide campus-wide using IP-authentication just like all of our
> subscribed databases.
>
> We would not agree to ongoing access that limited use to a single class or
> required a password.  The only time that limited access would be okay is if
> I’m buying one time use, but not for longer term access.
>

> Barb Bergman | Media Services & Interlibrary Loan Librarian | Minnesota
> State University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)