Yakov Lerner wrote:
On 8/6/06, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> On 8/5/06, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>
>> > However, it can sort of be simulated by having marks that stick to the
>> > text position that they mark, instead of line + fixed column.  (We
>> > don't have this kind of mark at the moment.)
>
>> IIUC, Vim's marks _are_ normally anchored to the text they mark, not to
>> line numbers.
>
> That's what I so ineloquently stated.  The thing is that the column is
> fixed.
>
>  nikolai

Hm., I checked it, and to my surprise, indeed when jumping with ` to a
mark after a characterwise-delete but in the same line, the mark is not
on the same text. Bug?

Line marks are anchored to the text (noy to line numbers).
Column marks are fixed at columns numbers, they are not
anchored to the text.

Yakov

What are "line marks" and "column marks"? I was doing my testing with `a -- is that a "line mark" or a "column mark"? The way I read the docs, it's just a file-local mark, and until now I thought it would stay with the text it was on.

-- Or did you mean "mark lines" (the lines of the marks) and "mark columns" (the columns of the marks)?

When breaking a line before a mark, the mark stays with the part-line before the line break:

azertyAZERTY

Put the cursor on "e". Hit ma
Put the cursor on "E". Hit mb
Put the cursor on "A". Hit i then <Return> and <Esc>.
Now `b brings you to "y", not to "E" and not anywhere on the line holding "AZERTY".

And I repeat: Bug?

Best regards,
Tony.