John Little wrote:
Hi all

Tony said:

F2 to F12 (with the possible exception of F10), Shift-F1 to Shift-F12.

Perhaps not the OP, but someone might find this useful.

Vim, at least on Windows, also knows about F13, F14 and F15.  I've
never seen a keyboard with such, but registry mappings can be used to
map the otherwise next to useless (IMO) windows keys (called "Left
Windows", "Right Windows" and "Application") to them, and their easily
found location may make them good for a map leader, though grossly
unportable.

(I confess the weakness, oh the shame, of using the arrow keys a lot,
with the mouse, more shame, in my left hand, so while in this mode, I
use the above trick to bring often used functions to hand without
having to move my left hand from the mouse.)

Of the various pages about this windows arcana I found
http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.html very helpful.

I'm curious, though.  Are these keys known by Vim on Unices, so could
be mapped with say, xmodmap?

Regards, John

After doinf some research (it wasn't easy) on my Linux system, I came up with the following:

X11 allows up to 35 F-keys; you would of course have to determine the geographical code of the keys involved, or to find some way to remap them. (Keyboards with up to 248 keys are supported in theory, and keycodes are in the range 8..255 so they are not the same as keyboard scan codes.)

On my system, /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h, and a few more in the same directory, define a lot of "key functions" for X11 (I mean, they give names to what a key can do when you hit it).

To err is human, to moo bovine.