On 09/04/08 12:34, John Beckett wrote:
> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>> Now the patch is attached, hopefully that works better.
>
> The file diff.dat that you just attached, and your earlier inline mail are
> the same. In both cases, there is a problem: the last 12 lines should be
> omitted (you can see they are a slightly broken duplicate of the
> just-preceding lines).
>
> ---start omit (last 12 lines)---
> +** ../vim-7.1.291/src/version.c      Tue Apr  1 20:58:23 2008
> --- src/version.c     Sun Apr  6 15:25:42 2008
>   **************
>       "-find_in_path",
>    #endif
> + #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT
> +     "+float",
> + #else
> +     "-float",
> + #endif
>    #ifdef FEAT_FOLDING
>       "+folding",
> ---end omit---
>
> For the record, Tony's attached patch correctly omitted the above 12 lines,
> but Tony's patch has a problem in the middle:
>
> ---instead of---
> +           f + #ifndef HAVE_STDARG_H
> ---should be---
> +           f =
> + #ifndef HAVE_STDARG_H
> ---end---
>
> I have built and run Vim with the patch (as corrected above). It patched and
> built with no problems. A very quick test correctly executed the following
> (showing result 12.990000):
>
> :echo&1.23 +&11.76
>
> It will be a while before I can think of anything to do with floating point
> in an editor, but no doubt someone will explain it to me.
>
> John

12 extra lines at the end shouldn't be a problem, since the patch
program will ignore "garbage" before and after the patch proper.

I know what to do with floating point in an editor: use it as a cheap
calculator program without the need to scale for digits right of the
decimal point. Maybe other things too.

("cheap" because the marginal cost of the calculator is nil, since I
need the editor anyway.)

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"At least they're _EXPERIENCED_ incompetents"