Francois Ingelrest wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  Easy to reproduce.  Turns out that this line causes it:
> >
> >         sprintf(tmp, format, f);
> >
> >  Here "format" is "%f"  and "f" is your value 1e+308.  The result is an
> >  awful long string of numbers.  I suppose it's about 308 digits.  How big
> >  does "tmp" need to be to hold any result here?  I don't think %f has a
> >  way of specifying a maximal field width.
>
> You could use snprintf() to specify the maximum length of tmp.

Unfortunately, snprintf() is not available everywhere, and the
implementations are not always working in a portable way.

The code actually is inside vim_snprintf(), which is the Vim
implementation of snprintf().  But it still uses sprintf() to do the
difficult work.

I guess that 1e308 is about the largest number supported by "double".
At least for me 1e309 results in "infinity".  Would it be safe enough to
use a buffer of about 350 chars?  Or are there platforms where "double"
can be much bigger?