On 10/04/08 10:29, Bill McCarthy wrote:
> On Thu 10-Apr-08 3:14am -0600, John Beckett wrote:
>
>> Bill McCarthy wrote:
>>> I want +float - how do I make that happen?
>> One simple method is to add the following line to src/feature.h
>>
>> #define FEAT_FLOAT
>>
>> You could probably do that anywhere, but just after the section with #if
>> relating to FEAT_FLOAT is probably a good place.
>>
>> I would welcome a less crude suggestion.
>
> Thanks John, I was hoping that I didn't need to modify
> source code to accomplish it.  Isn't there a way to add
> something to the make line?

I built a Huge version with the patch (I think Normal would have been
enough) and got +float. There was an error message from the configure
step at first, and I had to remove src/auto/config.cache then it worked.

To avoid losing the ability to compile Vim without the patch, I used first

        cd ../..
        mkdir -v vim-test
        cp -av vim/* vim-test

FEAT_FLOAT is defined at line 384 of feature.h if you are building a
Normal or Huge build and FEAT_POW is defined. I think the latter is
defined by configure if it finds out that your C compiler knows about
the pow() function -- here are two possibly relevant lines from the
output of configure, with 3 context lines above and below (lines 344-351
in all):

checking whether stat() ignores a trailing slash... no
checking for iconv_open()... yes
checking for nl_langinfo(CODESET)... yes
checking for pow in -lm... yes
checking for pow()... yes
checking --disable-acl argument... no
checking for acl_get_file in -lposix1e... no
checking for acl_get_file in -lacl... yes

I applied no modifications to the source code for floating point (I
modified float.h but only to enable +xterm_save and disable
+tag_old_static). My configure options are set by having bash source
(not run) the following script before running make (watch out for
spurious linebreaks possibly added by your mailer or by mine):

#!/bin/bash
export CONF_OPT_GUI='--enable-gnome-check'
export CONF_OPT_PERL='--enable-perlinterp'
export CONF_OPT_PYTHON='--enable-pythoninterp'
export CONF_OPT_TCL='--enable-tclinterp --with-tcl=tclsh8.4'
export CONF_OPT_RUBY='--enable-rubyinterp'
export CONF_OPT_MZSCHEME='--disable-mzschemeinterp'
#export CONF_OPT_PLTHOME='--with-plthome=/usr/local/plt'
export CONF_OPT_CSCOPE='--enable-cscope'
export CONF_OPT_MULTIBYTE='--enable-multibyte'
export CONF_OPT_FEAT='--with-features=huge'
export CONF_OPT_COMPBY='"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"'

# need to patch feature.h
# to disable +tag_old_static: comment out:
# # define FEAT_TAG_OLDSTATIC
# at line 360 (or about)
# to enable +xterm_save: uncomment:
# /* #define FEAT_XTERM_SAVE */
# at line 831 (or about)

export CONF_ARGS='--with-modified-by="Bram Moolenaar (floating point)"'

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Paranoids are people, too; they have their own problems.  It's easy to
criticize, but if everybody hated you, you'd be paranoid too.