Hi,

In a discussion with current maintainers of vim.org regarding site
re-write/re-thinking the topic of participating in Google Summer of
Code was raised, and I feel that further discussion (if happening)
should take place on this list.

A bit of Googling reveals that Vim did not participate after 2008. We
will need to move fast if we intend to apply as Google has started
accepting applications from mentoring organizations and the deadline
is 11th March.

Some ideas (most of them copied from Marc's email with slight editing)
that might serve a GSoC:

* improve VimL a little bit (maybe adding closures, improving stack
traces, ..) Also make it easier to bind ruby, python, .. code to
mappings directly.

* Maybe add native curl support so that vim-addon-manager can be
installed without much user interaction on Windows (without having to
pull curl or the like first ..)

* Improving the signs implementation. Different scripts can use same
sign id by accident. So this is a design flaw. Also, signs which don't
move if you add lines. (Eg for breakpoints when using php xdebug ...)
Maybe one can get this done using events as well but its less optimal.

* Vim.org redesign

Since, I am not qualified to act on behalf of Vim, I will leave it to
the upstream to take if from here :). Just for a start, we would need
volunteers for organization admin, mentors for ideas, and maybe more
ideas.

--
Anurag Priyam
http://about.me/yeban/