Excerpts from ZyX's message of Tue Mar 08 21:08:06 +0000 2011:
 support to my format.vim plugin, but the following facts stopped me:
> 1. signs are accessible only with commands;
> 2. command output (which I may parse) is translated;
Why do you want to parse it?

Can you give vim-addon-signs a try?

The idea is to declaratively tell Vim only about the state of signs
which must be placed.
All the update handling is done by the plugin.
This assumes that you have less than a million of signs to place though.

This got rid of the annoying cumbersome api.

But you're right rtp being a setting is bad. THere should be
setRTPList() and getRTPListk functions etc.

> 3. v:lang variable value is system-dependent.
Didn't knew about this being a problem
Can you elaborate a little bit in which cases this bothers you
implementing signs?

Marc Weber