Jason wrote:
There is no A record for the domain name vim.org. That is,
this link shouldn't work:

http://vim.org/

That's correct, actually. Not only doesn't it work, but it shouldn't
work. It is a shame people have abused DNS and expect it to work.

Marc wrote:
There have been lot's of discussion about this on the mailinglist.
That this topic is being written about again and again is a reason to
change it. IMHO.

To some extent, I agree. It'd be nice to 'fix' this, just to silence the
noise on the mailing list.

But how?

We can't CNAME it; it would be against spec, and would break things. We
can't add an A record, because sourceforge might change it under us
and/or we don't know what magic they might be doing with load balancing,
etc. that we would irresponsibly bypass if we did that.

Perhaps the simplest thing is to get some cheap 'DNS hosting' that
offers a 'redirect' function. Basically the function just has a server
listen on port 80 for requests and return a 3xx (preferably 301 in our
case) redirect (to http://www.vim.org/ in our case) whenever it gets
one. No smart URL rewriting or anything. We might already have it (it
commonly is included with domain names in my experience) and just need
to set it up. If not, in my experience, it's very cheap, something like
a year's worth of hosting for the price of a glass of fruit juice.
Because it's actually a webserver, not done in DNS, it bypasses the
DNS-related difficulties, and because it's such a simple task and it
should be low-traffic anyway, loading isn't an issue.

Ben.