Perhaps the simplest thing is to get some cheap 'DNS hosting' that
offers a 'redirect' function. Basically the function just has a
server listen on port 80 for requests and return a 3xx (preferably
301 in our case) redirect (to http://www.vim.org/ in our case)
whenever it gets one.

I've taken the liberty of doing just this for vim.org on my own
webhost. (I have ten domain names included in my plan, and I'm only
using eight). If an 'A' record for vim.org were created with the value
64.130.10.15 (www5.pairlite.com = benizi.com), this would work
instantly. I did what I outlined in my post[1] from the last time this
came up, but even more simply:

www5$ cat vim.org/.htaccess
Redirect permanent / http://www.vim.org/

Verified; this is working.