On Jul 27, 2016 6:20 AM, "Kazunobu Kuriyama" <kazunobu.kuriy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> If "syntax on" is in the system vimrc as proposed, then I can't seem to
find any way *at all* to disable the loading of the system menu.vim (short
of unacceptable hacks like bash-aliasing 'vim' to 'vim -u ~/.vimrc'.)

>> Not only that, but the variables in menu.vim intended to be settable by
the user to stop certain segments from loading, i.e.,

>> let did_install_default_menus = 1
>> let no_buffers_menu =1
>> let did_install_syntax_menu = 1
>>
>> ... have no effect in the user's vimrc because menu.vim is already
loaded by the system vimrc's "syntax on".

>> Please, please, remove "syntax on" from the proposal.  There is no way
for the user to undo its side-effects.

>> -Manny
>

> Hi,
>
> After having read your argument through, I’m still for ‘syntax on’.
>
> After all, the problem boils down to this: How many GUI users do they
actually set go=+M?

> My bet is that the number is nearly zero.
>
> If our system menu were of such less importance that one could kill it at
will, it would not be worth being called “the system menu.”

I'd wager it's more than you think. I know many people that change gvim to
basically look like console vim. Personally, I set 'guioptions' to just
"cM".

Cheers,
James