On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Manuel Ortega <mannyvim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I agree that "syntax on" and "filetype on" (maybe even "filetype plugin
>> indent on") are pretty core features that should probably be enabled by
>> default, as nearly everyone will use them.
>>

>> However, I disagree that this should come at the expense of being able
>> to set up specific options. Anything done in the default settings should
>> be modifiable by the user, and it looks like in this situation that is
>> not possible, if the default settings are always sourced.
>>

> I would have no problem with "syntax on" going in a system vimrc if it
> didn't have unfixable side-effects.
>
> Perhaps it's possible for Bram to change the behavior of "syntax on" so
> that it doesn't cause menu.vim to be loaded.  Same for "filetype on".
>
> Or perhaps it's possible for Bram to change them so that menu.vim isn't
> loaded until after the user's vimrc is loaded.  Then the user could at
> least set the "did_install_*" variables.
>
> -Manny

What if "syntax on" and "filetype plugin indent on" were moved into the
autocmd group "vimStartup" that the proposed system vimrc defines, under
VimEnter autocmds:

au VimEnter * syntax on
au VimEnter * filetype plugin on

This way, everyone who wants them still gets them, and &go+=M still works
without modification.  As an added bonus, both of the "ons" can be
prevented from ever happening using the same "au!" line that kills the
others in that group.

-Manny