On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 2:51 AM, Manuel Ortega <mannyvim...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net>
> wrote:
>

>> " Switch syntax highlighting on when the terminal has colors or when
>> using the
>> " GUI (which always has colors).
>> if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
>>   syntax on
>>

> Wait a sec.  If "syntax on" is done here, then won't it be impossible to
> use "set guioptions+=M" in the user's .vimrc and have it work?  The docs
> say that in order for that to work, it must be done "before switching on
> syntax or filetype recognition".  But if syntax is turned on here, by the
> time the  "set go+=M" in his .vimrc is encountered it will be too late,
> right?

Indeed, that is the case (I tried it).  If you put "syntax on" in the
system vimrc, then the user cannot use "set go+=M".   I think this is a
good reason to remove "syntax on" from the proposal.  If it's left in, you
might as well just eliminate "M" as one of the guioptions, because it's
totally unusable unless it goes in the local machine's system vimrc, which
many users will not be able to change, or will not want to tweak it every
time they build a new Vim.

-Manny