On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 5:20:14 AM UTC-5, Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:

> > If "syntax on" is in the system vimrc as proposed, then I can't seem
> > to find any way *at all* to disable the loading of the system
> > menu.vim (short of unacceptable hacks like bash-aliasing 'vim' to
> > 'vim -u ~/.vimrc'.)
> >

> > Not only that, but the variables in menu.vim intended to be settable
> > by the user to stop certain segments from loading, i.e.,
> >

> > let did_install_default_menus = 1
> > let no_buffers_menu =1
> > let did_install_syntax_menu = 1
> >

> > ... have no effect in the user's vimrc because menu.vim is already
> > loaded by the system vimrc's "syntax on".
> >

> > Please, please, remove "syntax on" from the proposal.  There is no
> > way for the user to undo its side-effects.
> >

> > -Manny
>

> Hi,
>

> After having read your argument through, I’m still for ‘syntax on’.
>

> After all, the problem boils down to this: How many GUI users do they
> actually set go=+M?
>

> My bet is that the number is nearly zero.
>

> If our system menu were of such less importance that one could kill it
> at will, it would not be worth being called “the system menu.”
>

> IOW, as long as our system menu has a substantial role in our GUIs,
> allowing the users to set go+=M doesn’t make sense at all.
>

> Rather, eliminating the M option would be the right way to go.
>

> I think ‘syntax on’ as well as ‘filetype plugin indent on’ constitutes
> the core of Bram’s proposal and speaks out in an effective way about
> what the coming default changes are all about.
>

> I’m afraid its withdrawal will only make people wonder why Vim 8 falls
> short that way.

I agree that "syntax on" and "filetype on" (maybe even "filetype plugin
indent on") are pretty core features that should probably be enabled by
default, as nearly everyone will use them.

However, I disagree that this should come at the expense of being able
to set up specific options. Anything done in the default settings should
be modifiable by the user, and it looks like in this situation that is
not possible, if the default settings are always sourced.

What if the default settings were not applied, if the user has specified
a .vimrc?