On 14/11/08 08:56, John Beckett wrote:
> fritzophrenic wrote:
>> However, let me clarify:
>>
>> Even though "+yiw yanks to the * instead of the + register,
>> it also yanks (correctly) the windows clipboard. I can paste
>> the word in other applications. Also, I can still use "+p to
>> paste into Vim.
>
> A lot of confusion has been sown on this topic, so let's clarify even more:
>
> "+yiw has NO BUGS whatsoever. It correctly yanks to the + register. It
> performs
> exactly according to the documentation.
>
> The PECULIARITY is that, at least on some versions of Vim/Windows where this
> has
> been tested, the :reg command claims that "+ is empty, and that only "* holds
> the
> result of the yank.
>
> I would like someone to explain the background to that peculiarity (I haven't
> yet
> got around to seeing if the source offers an explanation).
>
> John

I think it is just "not listed separately" in the output of ":registers"
(with no argument) because _on Windows_ "+ and "* are synonymous, work
as one (see above), and are officially documented to be synonymous. If
the one is just an alias for the other, there's no point in listing the
contents twice, once with one title and again with the other.

One could argue that it would be more "proper" to list it as + rather
than * because the + register can be used on all platforms (even on X11)
as "what is accessed by Edit=>Cut, Edit=>Copy and Edit=>Paste in many
programs including gvim but not limited to it" but IMHO that is a
question of lesser importance.

One could also argue that when asking for just one register, the
contents of the clipboard, if nonempty, ought to be shown when asking
for only "+ just as it is shown when asking for only "* (Answering with
"* when asked for "+ would IMHO be OK on Windows, but answering as if it
were empty when asked for just "+ and the clipboard is actually _not_
empty could even be regarded as a bug -- in the ":registers" command,
not in the functioning of the + and * registers.)

On X11 platforms such are mine, "+ and "* are both listed in the output
of ":reg" even if their contents are identical (as I just noticed),
because on such a platform they are not _necessarily_ identical.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass.
                -- Frank Zappa