On Sun 25 Jan 2009 at 08:08:10 PST bill lam wrote:

>After reading white-on-black for several hours, I found it is OK
>except the "blue on black" combination.  Since blue is dark blue
>#0000ff on xterm.  It is really hard to read.  I have to use Xresource
>to change color4 (blue) to #00aaff (lighter).  Does anyone also find it
>hard to read "blue on black" and what is the workaround?

Me too.  That's why I finally broke with habits I formed way back in the
80's and reconfigured all my terminal emulators to use white
backgrounds.  To avoid glare, however, I do have the brightness turned
way down.

When working with text, being able to distinguish individual letters and
punctuation marks is usually more important than being able to
distinguish colors.  Programmers need fonts that have clearly different
shapes for the number one versus lower case L, for zero versus capital
O, for commas versus periods, and for curly braces versus rounded
parentheses

I do use syntax coloring. but only sparingly.  For example, I like to
make comments a light to medium gray, so uncommented text stands out
more.  I also like using green for string literals, as an easy way to
catch a missing close quote.  And I like red text for error messages.
But I find most other keyword and type coloring to be nothing more than
visual noise.

I use mutt (and vim!) for email, and I like to use contrasting
colors for different quote levels.  Here it isn't important to be
able to see exactly what shade of blue is being used, only that
it's different from the magenta or green that being used for an
adjacent level.