Saluton vi...@selgrad.org :)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:15:41 +0100, vi...@selgrad.org dixit:
> On 00:08 Mon 26 Jan     , bill lam wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Jesus Sanchez wrote:
> > > when we all talking about light, not paper. I still have problems
> > > cause in my house all my family use my computer and they say
> > > "white on black" sucks, and aslo is harder to read. After some
> > > discussions they still don't accept the fact that light to the
> > > eyes continuously can't be good.
> >
> > After reading white-on-black for several hours, I found it is OK
> > except the "blue on black" combination.  Since blue is dark blue
> > #0000ff on xterm.  It is really hard to read.  I have to use
> > Xresource to change color4 (blue) to #00aaff (lighter).  Does
> > anyone also find it hard to read "blue on black" and what is the
> > workaround?
>
> I used gvim a long time because I thought the colors in xterm were
> ugly. But one fine day I found this link on 256 color xterm (and
> since then abandoned gvim):
>       http://www.frexx.de/xterm-256-notes/

Metoo. Except I use xfce4-terminal and sakura. I've noticed 256 colors
are enough for me (in fact, 16 are enough but the "standard" shades are
not the ones I would use to color my source, code, for example), and
font rendering is MUCH better in plain vim running under xfce4-terminal
or sakura than in gvim (which doesn't have antialiasing, don't know
about hinting). And, at least in my case, vim is noticeably faster than
gvim, so...

And yes, the "standard" terminal color shades are ugly. Probably they
were chosen to provide shades which were as orthogonal as possible
between them, don't know :? But they are mostly useless for syntax
highlighting. Fortunately the 256 colors available for terminals provide
good shades. They fit a bit better IMHO with a black background, but I
find a white (or better, a light) background better because I focus
better (greater depth of field with my iris a bit more closed).

We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...