--- "J.S. Garrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<clip>
> The IIsi has my vote, only slightly edging out the
> LC III. Why? More RAM.
> The LC III tops at ten, the IIsi goes to 33 megs
> with two 16's, one meg on board.

You need another cuppa Joe. ;) The IIsi has one meg
built in, part of which is used for video RAM. It has
four 30 pin SIMM slots and maxes out at 65 megs with
four 16meg SIMMs. The IIsi RAM Muncher INIT "munches"
any of the first meg not in use by the video to
give a bit of a speed boost. Whyfor do that? Because
whenever the System or other software accesses the
first meg (which is Bank A) the video controller is
blocked from accessing it. And when the video is
refreshing the screen, the System etc is blocked.
The RAM Muncher fills up the "extra" memory so that
every time the CPU checks to see if that space needs
attention for System or programs, it gets back a
"nope" fast as possible and control is passed back to
the video.

And though the video/memory sharing is similar on the
IIci, the RAM Muncher doesn't work, even if you only
put one meg in Bank A.

> And, with that spiffy angle adapter, you put in the
> Daystars I mentioned
> for the IIci. 68040/40 or 68030/50.

The IIsi needs the special IIsi 030 PowerCache PDS
adaptor to use the 030 Power Cache, Turbo 040 or
Turbo 601. (If the 601 will even fit the IIsi.)
The most common version has two slots, one converts
to the IIci type slot for the CPU upgrade and the
other is a straight pass through of the IIsi slot so
another SE/30 or IIsi PDS card can be installed.

ISTR there was a single slot adaptor that only
provided a IIci type slot. Daystar also made a
short, straight IIsi to IIci slot adaptor that plugged
onto the IIsi-SE/30 PDS at the top of many cards.
At the time my Universal Powercache manual was
printed,
the only IIsi card that had to use this adaptor was
the Radius Hard Pivot Videocard. This adaptor could
also be used with many network cards that had a
PDS at the top edge.

=====
"You never have to repair or replace what you leave out of the design."
William "Bill" Powell Lear, inventor of the 8-Track tape and the Learjet.