Hi Kelly,

Asus is known to make very good routers with a heavy emphasis on gaming. I had
a high-end Asus router quite a few years ago at my store and while it was good,
at the time I did not like the interface and ended up replacing it with a
Netgear Nighthawk, once again, one of their top models at the time. My next and
current system at home is a Netgear Orbi mesh system with 1 satellite and at my
store it is a Netgear Orbi Pro which is the more business oriented version.
Both of these are I think now about 5 years old and they have performed
flawlessly, they broadcast both on the 2.4 Ghz and 5 GHz frequency, but while I
have often read about issues where people had problems with older devices and
were advised to turn of the 5 GHz band on their router, this has never been an
issue for me. I am most likely waiting a while longer before I upgrade again by
which time Wi-Fi 7 will probably be the current standard, but even now I would
probably look for a tri-band Wi-Fi 6E capable router which supports the new 6
GHz band which is not the case with Wi-Fi 6. Once again, maybe not an issue now
and maybe not ever for some people, but often when I do buy a device like a
router, I will get the latest so it will last for a long time. I usually also
read reviews when I make a decision in technology, but I think it's important
to read reviews from at least 3 or 4 reputable sources and of course to also
pay attention what the focus of the product is, e.g. gaming, home use, business
use etc. Then there is of course the "wallet concern" since it is not difficult
to spend almost as much on a router as on a brandnew iPhone, the latest Netgear
Orbi mesh system with 1 satellite, for example, will set you back $1,099 US and
about $1,500 Canadian. If anybody is interested to read about it, here is a
link:

Orbi™ 960 Series Quad-Band WiFi 6E Mesh System, 10.8Gbps, 10 Gig
Port<https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbke963b/>

The fact is that things are different now than 20 years ago when you bought a
router and never even worried much about upgrading it for a very l ong time,
nowadays companies like Asus, Netgear, TP Link, Ubiquiti and others release new
routers more or less each year with faster processors and better specs. But
just as it really is not necessary to upgrade one's iPhone each year any more,
it is also not necessary to get caught up in this race to always have something
better; I still feel a router should be something you mostly install and forget
and beyond making sure it is updated regularly (typically an automatic process
with most good routers, you don't need to pay much attention to it.