Hi,

I have both the HDMI and the digital audio connected to the Apple TV. The
digital audio goes to the Samsung Sound bar and the HDMI goes to the Samsung
sixty inch Television. So I can do audio from the computer which is both my
ACER and an HP laptop or I can do audio from my iPhone 5S via airplay
through the Sound bar without the TV being on. I Can also do it through the
Apple TV via the HDMI via the television without the Sound bar being on but
the sound is not nearly as good. I can also do any Apple TV app such as
Netflix or Hulu Plus without turning on the television simply by turning on
the sound bar and the Apple TV. And then controlling everything via the
Apple TV remote. I discovered all of this totally by accident after having
all of this connected this way for a year. I should have known better being
that I worked at a flesh and blood radio station back in the eighties for
years when they still required you study and get a physical paper license to
be a DJ. It's not like today when anyone with a sound card can call
themselves a DJ, Laughs!