Mike,

On 23/6/07 00:15, "Michael K. Bergman" <m...@mkbergman.com> wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> Thanks for the quick response; this looks very helpful.  See below.
>
> Hugh Williams wrote:
>> Mike,
>>

>> On 22/6/07 21:01, "Michael K. Bergman" <m...@mkbergman.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> The create and start directions for a Windows instance of Virtuoso work
>>> fine for a virgin install, per
>>> http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/wiki/main/Main/VOSUsageWindows.
>>>
>>> However, if I have any problems that cause me to shut down my machine
>>> (due to development), I find I can still see the service listed, but can
>>>   not start from Control Panel --> Services or manually at the command
>>> line with any options I try.
>>
>> [Hugh] What do you mean by problems cause you to shutdown your machine ie
>> did the machine crash or is it gracefully shutdown and restarted ? The
>> Virtuoso service creation process set the service to start "automatically"
>> and thus it should be running by default after gracefully machine shutdown
>> and restart. I can thus only assume that the machine or possibly the
>> virtuoso server crashed leaving a "demo.lck" file in the "<Virtuoso dir>\
>> var\lib\virtuoso\demo" directory, which would need to be manually removed
>> before the server is started. Please check this directory to confirm if this
>> is the case and if so remove the file and then attempt the restart. Also, if
>> you check the "demo.log" file it should indicate the reason the server did
>> not start.
>
> Great help!  What I needed.  BTW, is there no problem to remove the
> "demo.lck" file?  (I believe this file was present, but I have again
> re-installed since.)
>
> No, things have hardly been graceful!  I'm doing much in the background
> because I am attempting to move the VSPX files out of WebDAV (and who
> knows what else is needed?) for local file editing (per Mitko's
> suggestions on this forum on 4/24-25).  (Good hints, but kinda incomplete!)
>
> My use profile is therefore hardly standard.  Rather than ending with
> Virtuoso and ODS as is, I'm trying to start with ODS and then make major
> mods (you know, learning anatomy by carving up cadavers!)
>
> I've done some crazy/stupid stuff with NetDrive, plus other
> self-inflicted wounds that require *ungraceful* shutdowns.  One in
> particular is trying to "clone" ODS outside of WebDAV that gets things
> very mixed up.
>
> (I know, don't try this at home, but the only way to get greater use of
> ODS is for stubborn, but stupid, guinea pigs like me to break stuff in
> every way possible! :) )
>
> I'm kinda flying blind on this (keeping notes) and will likely need
> major help come the beginning of the week.  But, once started, I am
> nothing if not stubborn!  (and stupid! :) )

[Hugh] Keep posting to the VOS mailing lists and we'll be equally stubborn
and keep responding to your post :)

Have you been able to restart the server successfully by removing the
demo.lck file ?

BTW, the command I provided below for starting the server in foreground
debug mode has a minor typo and should be:

    virtuoso-t -fd -c demo.ini

Which you probably spotted ...

Regards,
Hugh