Posted by Randy Barnett:
Contractsand Arbitration:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_06_12-2005_06_18.shtml#1118864782

   The afternoon session is on Contracts and Arbitration. The panelists
   are Richard Alderman (Houston), Jean Serchlight (UNLV), and Steve Ware
   (Kansas).
   Jean has summarized the law of arbitration for the benefit of the
   contracts professors. I have a section on private arbitration in my
   casebook, but it is rarely discussed in first year contracts classes,
   and I do not claim to know its nuances. The issue is whether
   arbitration can be mandated by a term in a contractâespecially a form
   contract of the sort discussed in previous sessions. (Recall that I
   distinguish between browsewrap agreements where there is zero
   manifestation of assent and click-wrap agreements that you must click
   to agree to (probably unread) terms.)
   Rick is giving an impassioned plea for the proposition that there
   should be no binding arbitration for consumer contracts. He contends
   that arbitration clauses are meant to avoid the substantive law of
   contracts that protect consumers as well as consumer protection laws.
   He says that there is never any bargaining about arbitration clauses
   (generally true) and no "rational" person can say there was assent to
   such clauses. Here I disagree. I think it is quite realistic to
   consent to unread terms on the grounds that it is not worth it to the
   consumer to worry about such contingent clauses, while it IS worth it
   to the repeat players who provide the form since they have to deal
   with thousands of transactions. The issue for me is whether
   arbitration clause is so surprising that it is not within the range of
   terrms that could be consented to without it being brought
   specifically to the attention of the consumer. I think that
   arbitration are not so surprising that it cannot be said that a
   reasonable consumer runs the risk of their presence in an unread form
   contract.
   Steve Ware is now up defending enforcing arbitration clauses. He
   contends that businesses who use such clauses save money and that SOME
   (not all) of these savings are passed along to consumers. So both
   sides benefit from such clauses.
   He is now asking where is the source of the benefits to business. If
   it comes from lower awards to consumer claimants, then such clauses
   come at the expense of consumers. But he thinks cost savings may also
   result from lower process costs which is a win-win situatiion for both
   parties. Only lawyers who are excluded from arbitration are harmed by
   such clauses. So the issue is determining which is the principal
   source of the savings. He cites studies that suggest that lower awards
   in arbitration (as compared with a civil lawsuit) are traded off
   against higher numbers of successful claims brought in arbitration. So
   the situation for consumers is not uniform. More consumers may benefit
   from arbitration, but a few consumers may lose out by recovering less
   than they would in court. He says the empirical evidence is not that
   powerful, but this seems to be the trade-off that must be weighed, and
   he thinks the benefits to the price reductions that are passed along
   to consumers and the lower cost access to justice outweight what is
   given up in large jury awards. . . . [to read the rest click show]

   ([1]show)

   Jean replies that it is a myth that consumers can get a decent result
   in arbitration because very very few consumers go to arbitration over
   their small claims because (a) they don't know what arbitration is (b)
   they cannot get a lawyer and (c) consumers are afraid to take on the
   task.
   Further, assuming consumers may benefit from lower prices, there are
   other public interest reasons to subject companies to discipline that
   arbtration largely allows them to excape. In Jean's view these costs
   outweigh any benefit to consumers by means of lower prices.
   Jean concedes that the win rate for consumers may not be bad, but
   questions whether arbitration makes it too difficult to bring claims
   at all.
   Rick agrees with all that. Rick does not care if it is rational for
   consumers because "we as a society make decisions for consumers." The
   right to go to court is all important. "We as professors" should care
   about that. He stresses the deterrent effect of lawsuits--as well as
   public condemnation--that are not acheived by arbitration.
   Steve replies: A lot depends on whether civil litagation is a private
   matter between private parties or serves primarily a public function.
   He sees it as the former, Rick as the latter.
   He then addresses the issue of who is using arbitration. Credit card
   companies for example use arbitration so often not because there is
   different substantive law that is being applied, but because of the
   lower process costs that make small scale enforcement feasible. This
   lowering the cost of collection benefits companies, but, as he
   previously argued also benefits consumers with lower prices.
   From the floor, Frank Snyder points out that there are lots of
   contracts cases in state court to arbitration has not dried up the
   supply of cases to make the public law of contracts. Jean replies that
   the concern is that certain types of cases may not be brought often
   enough.
   Charles Knapp (Hastings) asks why contracts professors are the only
   line of defense of the rule of law? Where are the procedure teachers?
   Rick agrees that contracts professors are the only line of defense.
   Bill Whitford (Wisconsin) asks Steve what he thinks about a small
   claims court opt-out of arbitration? If I understood his answer, he
   thnks the lower cost small claims court opt out does reduce the cost
   advantage of arbiitration.
   He then poses another question for Steve: Isn't it true that to
   collect an arbitration award don't creditors still have to go to
   court? Steve agrees that the cost savings is only on the first half,
   the adjudication of the merits portion of the claim.
   Rick raises the problem of arbitrat
   Rachel Arnow-Richman (Denver) asks whether arbitration should itself
   be regulated to address these problems rather than eliminate
   abitration altogether? Where would such an alternative regulatory
   scheme come from? Jean things arbitration can be regulated by
   unconscionability doctrine so long as it is being used the same way
   here as elsewhere, and arbitration clauses are not just automatically
   knocked out across the board. Still she doubts that it is practical to
   regulate arbitration by traditional unconscionability. She thinks
   modifying the Federal Arbitration Act would be a possible way to go,
   but she doubts any changes can get through Congress at this point.
   Jamie Fox (Stetson): Brings up the sliding scale discussion of the
   last panel. Should there be a carveout when you have the in between
   "adhesion" (form) contract. For example for racial discrimination.
   Steve says that bills attempting to carveout discrimination in
   employment contracts are regularly introduced in Congress and fail. He
   thinks such bills would have a much greater chances of passage in a
   Democratic Congress.
   This was an interesting panel, as was the previous one on IP and
   contracts. Perhaps this is because even a superficial exposure to
   issues from other fields--like IP or ADR--is useful to contracts
   professors, as compared with a superficial discussion of contract law
   theory itself, which should be beneath the level of knowledge of most
   who teach contracts.
   I am not sure if I am going to do this again for tomorrowâs sessions.
   For one thing, I dont know if anyone finds this sort of blogging
   interesting to read. But it was a fun thing for me to do, at least for
   a change of pace.
   Also my Treo 600 with external keyboard worked well for typing my
   notes. Now if only PowerBlogs would create an interface so I could
   post to the blog using the Treo, then I could pgenuinely live blog
   from the event.
   ([2]hide)