It appears as if Jed and Mizuno have the situation under control.  I will be
relieved when the variations in ambient are taken out of the picture since that
will make analysis of the system much simpler.

You might be correct that I got the direction of the pseudo input wrong.  It is
so easy to get mixed up when you think about these types of systems.  Allow me
to present the logic that I used to derive the behavior observed when an
ambient temperature step takes place.

First, it is assumed that the ambient is steady and the temperature of the
coolant has settled down and no longer is changing value with time.  If power
is leaking into the system from the outside such as by means of the pump
network then the coolant must obtain a temperature above the static ambient.
This is required in order for the heat to flow outwards from the test system
into the outside world.

In this case heat is flowing across the delta in temperature at a rate that is
proportional to that delta.  Since the coolant is hotter than the ambient, heat
is flowing from the coolant to the ambient.  If the ambient now undergoes a
step upwards the difference between the static coolant and the new ambient is
less than before.  Since a lower delta is now measured, less heat flows
outwards from the coolant to the ambient.

Before the step, all of the heat associated with the pump power was flowing
through the insulation and to the ambient environment.  Now, once that step
takes place, the delta become smaller and less heat flows outwards.  The
difference in heat flowing is directed into the thermal capacity of the coolant
and test device.  This then should cause the temperature of those components to
rise.  I believe this behavior would be the same as would be observed by a real
signal adding its heat currents into the calorimeter.

A check to this thought is established by considering where the ultimate
coolant and device system temperature stabilizes.  Eventually, that combined
temperature rises until the same temperature delta as before the step is
reached.  If that happened to be 4 degrees before a +1 degree step, the coolant
temperature should move in the same direction as the step beginning at the
hypothetical 3 degrees of delta slowly upwards to 4 degrees where it stabilizes.

Perhaps I am overlooking something in my mental model that someone will point
out.

Dave