"I am sure Rossi and Penon claimed the reactor was producing heat on days
when it was turned off and disassembled."

One of the 4 tigers (250 kilowatt units) was off line. That single unit
failure/repair situation is the reason for the the drop in reactor power to
750 kilowatts that are seen in the steam production records.

If all 4 tigers dropped off line, Rossi would have started up the
older 52 unit backup reactor. Rossi gets paid for every day that he can
produce the power required by contract and he had enough redundancy to
insure he could produce power each and every day.