Hi,
[snip]
>“The energy release per atom would be useful, to narrow down the
>possibilities.”
>
>Yes. No doubt this detail would be very useful to know, but is it even
>possible to know?

I think that with careful work, it is possible.

1) It should be possible to measure the total energy release over a long period.
2) The amount of D used should be able to be calculated by subtracting what is
left over at the end from what was made available during the course of the run.
The difference (if any) is what was used.

I deliberately specified a "long" run, because if the difference is small, then
the error can potentially be large, because there is always some measurement
error, and a very small signal may be lost in the measurement error.

If at the end of such a long run the difference is still small or near to
non-existent, then we are obviously dealing with one of the very energetic
options.
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk