AlanG <a...@magicsound.us> wrote:

I think a better question is how the Nissan is better than the Chevy Volt,
> which was discontinued after 5 years for disappointing sales, possibly from
> failing to meet efficiency expectations.

It has not been discontinued. It is still for sale:

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric

Bob Higgins <rj.bob.higg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Recently I have seen ridiculous advertisements for an all electric GMC
> Hummer as the ultimate SUV.  I can just imagine people going overlanding in
> such a vehicle - running out of charge in the middle of nowhere.

There are no gas stations in the middle of nowhere either. Granted, gas
stations are much more prevalent than chargers. Also, when a gasoline car
runs out of fuel, you can park it somewhere, get a ride to a gas station,
bring back a gallon of fuel in a plastic tank, and refuel it. So it is
easier to recover from running out of fuel. People who drive electric cars
soon learn to deal with the limited range and the possibility of running
out. I drove an electric car for several months. The pandemic reduced my
need for a car so I gave it to my daughter. But anyway, I have some
experience with this. The GPS map shows all of the local charging stations.
In Atlanta there are hundreds. You could easily find one, and then plot a
course to it.

How often do you run out of fuel with a gasoline car? I only did once, when
I first learned to drive and I wasn't used to watching the fuel gauge, back
in the 1970s. Nowadays, cars have blinking lights and other warnings when
the fuel is low. Electric cars not only have blinking lights, they have a
synthetic woman's voice warning you how many miles you have left, and (as a
I said) a GPS map, and a button you press leading you to the closest
charger. I never came close to running out of charge, because I plugged in
at home.

Granted it would be different in the wilderness, but I doubt many GMC
Hummer owners actually drive off road into the woods. If they do, they
better learn to plot the route on the GPS or with a Google map to estimate
how many miles they will drive before they need to recharge. That is the
kind of thing you can do easily with 21st century technology, even
off-road. It would have taken hours to plan that in 1990, and the answer
would be inaccurate.