Photons are the universal = most basic form of energy. With photons you can transport energy over any distance. So here the equivalence relation E = mc^2 is obvious. Same for the Pointing power vector for a radiation field.

But if you write E = mc^2 and e.g. m is 4-He then the equation simply is wrong. E must be of photon type at the end. There is no way to evaluate the equation physically, what means you cannot transfer 4-He into photons. (This is claimed for solutions of the Dirac equation)But for this purpose you first must add the fusions energy you did gain from 4 (p+e) --> 4-He. Even then you face the same problem one more time as there is no way to transform a proton into photons. For this you need to add an other 50 MeV/proton.

This makes clear that E = mc^2 is not an equation rather than an equivalence relation. But in the Dirac equation you mix an equivalence relation with an equation what is physical nonsense!

J.W.