ROGER ANDERTON <r.j.ander...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Jed: There were many coal bunker fires in the ships of that era. They
> never sank a ship as far as I know.
>

> So, as far as you know.
>

> As far as you know

Which is probably farther than you know. As I said, I happen to know about
ships of that era, mainly from books, but also from old sailors, long dead,
who sailed on ships built at the same time as the Titanic. That makes you
think about the nature of time and history, doesn't it? The past is not as
distant as we think.

> - would they be so incompetent that they would go to sea with a massive
> coal bunker fire which they were finding impossible to put out?

No one in his right mind would set to sea with a massive coal bunker fire.
It would be obvious to everyone there was a fire. The ship would be filled
with smoke. The passengers would refuse to board. There might have been a
small fire. Such things were fairly common. It is likely they would have
extinguished it before setting sail. It was common enough that they knew
how to deal with it. Regulations ensured they would know about even a small
fire.

> It was asking for the ship to sink as far as I am concerned, and you get
> the money from insurance scam.

That's preposterous. Insurance did not pay for even a small fraction of the
Titanic disaster.

A series of unforunate events is easy to arrange as far as I am concerned.
> If it takes a series of unfortunate events to cause a reactor meltdown by a
> collection of people - then just employ incompetent people at each stage of
> the process.

First of all, the sailors on the Titanic were very competent. They were
some of the best people in the industry, because it was a high status ship
and it paid well. The people running Fukushima were also first class.
Japanese engineering is some of the best in the world. Second, it is not
possible to deliberately cause something like the Titanic or Fukushima
disaster. No one can known in advance how to sabotage such complex systems.
They are designed with multiple layers of protection to prevent that. Both
disasters were almost -- but not quite -- prevented.