From my experience regulations are broken when forced to do so by those in charge; same would apply then.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Jed Rothwell" <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: "Vortex" <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 22 Jun, 22 At 22:26
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Bearden dead and cheniere.org gone

ROGER ANDERTON <r.j.ander...@btinternet.com <mailto:r.j.ander...@btinternet.com> > wrote:

It wasn't as massive a fire as you are trying to make out.

I have read about shipboard fires, shipwrecks, storms and other disasters. I have heard about such things directly from people who sailed on ships made before WWI. Any fire large enough to leave a 30' black streak on the outside of the Titanic would be very large indeed. The fire would be readily apparent to everyone on board. If the crew ignored it and sailed, the captain and all officers would lose their licenses and never sail again. It is simply out of the question. Regulations back then were tight. Fire is one the worst shipboard disasters.

More to the point:

1. The 30' streak is far larger than a bunker, which is only 9' wide, so it would have to be in several bunkers. 2. It is in the wrong part of the hull, not where the bunker that was reportedly on fire is located.
3. The streak disappears in other photos.

So I think it was an artifact of the photo. Other people have come to that conclusion. See:

https://www.titanicswitch.com/coalbunker_fire.html <https://www.titanicswitch.com/coalbunker_fire.html>

http://glinds-diversions.com/titanic/titanic-fire-2.html <http://glinds-diversions.com/titanic/titanic-fire-2.html>

O-ring of Challenger disaster should never have happened, just bad engineering.

That is true. There are examples of disasters caused by bad engineering.