ROGER ANDERTON <r.j.ander...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> It wasn't as massive a fire as you are trying to make out.

I have read about shipboard fires, shipwrecks, storms and other disasters.
I have heard about such things directly from people who sailed on ships
made before WWI. Any fire large enough to leave a 30' black streak on the
outside of the Titanic would be very large indeed. The fire would be
readily apparent to everyone on board. If the crew ignored it and sailed,
the captain and all officers would lose their licenses and never sail
again. It is simply out of the question. Regulations back then were tight.
Fire is one the worst shipboard disasters.

More to the point:

1. The 30' streak is far larger than a bunker, which is only 9' wide, so it
would have to be in several bunkers.
2. It is in the wrong part of the hull, not where the bunker that was
reportedly on fire is located.
3. The streak disappears in other photos.

So I think it was an artifact of the photo. Other people have come to that
conclusion. See:

https://www.titanicswitch.com/coalbunker_fire.html

http://glinds-diversions.com/titanic/titanic-fire-2.html

O-ring of Challenger disaster should never have happened, just bad
> engineering.

That is true. There are examples of disasters caused by bad engineering.