Robin <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au> wrote:

> When electric cars become more common, they can contribute to grid
> storage, allowing higher percentages of renewable
> energy sources.
> This also reduces CO2 from the transport sector.

Yup. There has been a lot of talk about that in the media lately. I think
there may be a problem, though. Most cars are used to commute. At an office
park there may be one or two chargers, but not one for every car. Yet the
daytime peak is when you need the contribution from the car battery. If the
peak was at night when cars were at home, it would work out better. Most
people with houses who have EV will soon have chargers. My daughter has a
240 VAC charger that cost her only ~$100.

Here is what I wrote about this over at LENR Forum.

Electric vehicle makers have recently begun introducing bidirectional
charging, also called vehicle-to-load (V2L). This means you can use an
electric car as a generator. This would be handy in Atlanta where the power
often fails. A Leaf, or Hyundai Ioniq 5 - V2L put out 3.6 kW, which is a
lot. The Ford F-150 can power your whole house, according to this article.
Another source says it is 9.6 kW. That would not be your whole house with
air conditioning or a clothes dryer, but it is a lot.

https://www.cars.com/articles/whats-bidirectional-charging-and-which-evs-offer-it-457608/

Vehicle to Load (V2L) Archives

I use an inverter with a Prius during power failures. It is very
convenient. The car ICE turns on occasionally for a few minutes and then
stops. Unfortunately, this is limited to 1 kW because the starter battery
is small and the manual says if I go up to 1.2 kW (1.5 kW?) a fuse will
blow. Some people put large inverters on the Prius traction battery. That
looks complicated and dangerous. I might have some local dealer do it for
me. 1 kW is much better than nothing. It is enough to power the
refrigerator, some lights, and the internet.

One advantage of this may show up in the future. It says that V2L can be
used to recharge another electric car. If an electric car runs out of power
and is stranded, you cannot bring a can of gasoline to get it moving again.
You have to bring a generator on a tow truck. I think the AAA and others
are already doing this. If V2L cars become common, anyone will be able to
pull up ahead of a stranded car and recharge it for 10 minutes with a
jumper cable, enough to drive several miles to a regular charger. Jumper
cables may not be common in the future but I expect police cars, tow
trucks, road emergency trucks and so on will soon have them, just as they
have ICE battery jumper cables.