Hi,
[snip]
>> When electric cars become more common, they can contribute to grid
>> storage, allowing higher percentages of renewable
>> energy sources.
>> This also reduces CO2 from the transport sector.
>>

>Yup. There has been a lot of talk about that in the media lately. I think
>there may be a problem, though. Most cars are used to commute. At an office
>park there may be one or two chargers, but not one for every car.

Electric cars have DC batteries but AC motors. That means they need to have
powerful built in inverters. When the car is
parked, these inverters essentially do nothing, but could be gainfully employed
to allow charge/discharge of the parked
vehicle. They are already used when charging from an AC outlet, but could also
be used to discharge to AC (an expansion
of the V2L concept). That would mean that no separate charger would be needed
for each vehicle, just an adequate mains
connection. It would entail some modification to vehicle design & programming.
I have trying to convince Nissan of the
value of this notion.
[snip]
Cloud storage:-