I wrote:

PROBLEM: How do you know what airplane is going to hit?

I meant "what floor the airplane is going to hit." Sorry about that.

Did he conclude the building was brought down by explosives? Then he is a flake with a PhD, like Steve Jones.

Why do we need that kind of comment in a serious discussion? Why the ad hominem?

Actually, this is not ad hominem. Calling into question a person's qualifications to make a technical judgment, or pointing out that he has no relevant experience, or that he has made grievous errors in previous similar technical arguments is a valid criticism. It was intemperate, and it was an Appeal to Ridicule which is a logical fallacies, but not ad hominem. See:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

"An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. . . .

The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made)."

Also, by the way, I have not committed an Appeal to Authority error, but Jones did:

"An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy with the following form:

Person A is (claimed to be) an authority on subject S.
Person A makes claim C about subject S.
Therefore, C is true.

This fallacy is committed when the person in question is not a legitimate authority on the subject. More formally, if person A is not qualified to make reliable claims in subject S, then the argument will be fallacious.

This sort of reasoning is fallacious when the person in question is not an expert. . . ."

Jones committed this fallacy by pointing to people like Max Cleland in a discussion of thermite. I point to real experts in the subject, at NIST.

If we are discussing high-level Washington conspiracies then Cleland is as expert. That's a different topic.

Hey, if you vehemence here is some kind of show ... say, trying to somehow divorce yourself, as a spokesperson for one controversial subject (LENR) . . .

Nothing like that. I oppose the 9/11 thermite hypotheses on the same grounds that I support cold fusion: because experts are right. (Usually.) In both cases we have unqualified flakes contradicting careful expert research with bogus reasons.

Also, let me get make it clear that I have no opinion about the likelihood of a conspiracy by the administration. That has nothing to do with this discussion. The only question at issue here is: what caused the building to fall? Not who caused it, or why, but only how. It was the airplanes.