On Jul 13, 2007, at 10:16 PM, William Beaty wrote:

I've come to see that there is one big thing that ruins these fields of
  amateur research.  That thing is SECRECY.  Every time amateurs think
they've stumbled across something important, they go silent and treat their discovery as a Big Important Secret which must be preserved at all costs from the many enemies who want to steal it. This is garbage! It is a trap which leads to paranoid megalomania. At the same time, it wrecks their discovery by burying it. True, there are often business reasons to
  keep back proprietary info, but the majority of "weird science"
discoveries are not kept secret for this reason. They are kept secret
  because of shameful human psychology: because the inventors' desire
  attention, because they need to control, and because they need to be
  important, to gain fame and accolades, etc.  I can say such things
because I too have suffered from this kind of "inventor's disease." I solved the problem by posting my inventions on internet. If a single
  inventor discovers something wonderful, it does no good at all for
mankind. It is not really a discovery at all, it's an ego trip. Only if
  an inventor discovers something wonderful and then STARTS SELLING
PRODUCTS, or better yet, TELLS EVERYONE THE SECRET, then does it make
  the world a better place.

This only applies to beneficial things. There are some discoveries so unimaginably horrific they should never see the light of day.

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/