Hi Robin,

Must be a residual Halloween thing...funny that this "kids" site you dug up says -233 C while every "adult" site I have seen (like NASA) says -173 degrees Celsius is the nighttime low...

http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/moon_worldbook.html

... my granny used to say that kids should "be seen and not heard"...

J.

I used to hate that...

Robin van Spaandonk wrote:
Hi Jones,
[snip]
Let's say that "ambient" is 300 K. Solar input and
heat from the earth provide most of that. However,
just as in "space" (not interstellar but
interplanetary) where the actual temp seldom drops
below ~150 K even in the "shade" then to me this could
indicate that the lowest or bottom level of earthly
"ambient" i.e. the bottom 100 degrees has a ZPE
origin.
[snip]
I doubt your figure of 150 K given here. See
http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_kids/AskKids/moontemp.shtml for the
night time temperature on the Moon.

(About 40 K ), and that only stays that high because the Moon itself is
radiating away energy received during the day.
AFAIK, if perpetually in the shade, between the planets, the temperature should
drop to that of the CMBR (~2.7 K).

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

The shrub is a plant.