@Jed

Yes, Sir Arthur; but, it reminds me of the mythical king.  Actually
apropos!  :-)

@SVJ

I, too, felt the pain of the demise of the earth in my teenage
reading; but, as an adult I saw it as a metaphor for the
ornithological egg or the cocoon of the butterfly.  Extending the
metaphor, the overlords were the snake in the garden leading mankind
toward knowledge and the alienation from the womb.

Sir Arthur pitied the overlords, forever the midwife but never the bride.

Yes, he did not believe in a God; but, did he believe in a god in the
overmind?  And how would the caterpillar know the difference?  Witness
Rama.

Eh, grasshopper?  :-)

Terry