>From Mr. Lawrence:

> If alien abductions -- which are pretty rare -- are
> taken as convincing proof of the existence of aliens,
> shouldn't theophanies -- which are rather common, certainly
> far more common than alien abductions -- be taken as
> convincing proof of the existence of God?  (The people who
> experience them typically interpret them that way, of course.)

I think you bring up a crucial point which goes to the heart of my
hypothesis. Is there really a difference between what I've called "the
abduction paradigm" experience and theophany oriented experiences. I
speculate: Perhaps both experiences spring from the same meta-language
of universal symbols unique to homo sapiens. It would seem natural
that cultural conditioning would clothe how such experiences will
manifest themselves within the experiencer's psyche. IOW, it's not a
matter of whether one is actually in contact with aliens or god. I
think we tend to get far too lost in our attempts to interpret the
experiences in literal clothing. IMO, it can never be successfully
interpreted in literal terms - of being messages from aliens or god.
It's the experience itself that matters, the current costume it has
chosen to reveal the drama within. What's important is how the
experience affects the transmitter of the tale, as well as those who
chose to listen. The experience IS what it IS.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks