Terry sez:

> Are you familiar with the term "walk-in"?  (Not referring to any known
> hair salon.  :)

I wuz wondering when someone would mention the W-I word. Yes, I'm quite
familiar with the concept. In fact, I asked my witch doctor if that might
have been what happened in my case.

Curiously, when the experience happened to me back in my mid 20s it never
even once occurred to me to entertain the notion that that might have been
what happened. I certainly understood the concept, had read about it in
various psychic literature, back then. It wasn't until my late thirties
when, suddenly, it hit me like a brick wall, I began to speculate on the W-I
notion since it seemed to be an absolute "shoe-in". It wasn't until several
years after making that connection that I decided to ask a witch doctor.

In my case - apparently not...unless one is willing to entertain the notion
that two or three other MAJOR parallel-reality "self(s)" decided that
perhaps it might be a good idea to recombine and give little old funky "me",
the one in this troubled probable reality, a helping hand.  If that WAS the
case, I don't recall having to sort through several parallel memory lines to
settle on a dominant thread, but perhaps I just chalked it all up to the
vagrancies of my memory playing tricks on me. "Wasn't my first volkswagon a
blue car? Why does this old photograph show it to be red?" Incidentally,
it-is-said that the splitting and merging of parallel realities is actually
a very common occurrence, that we ALL go through it numerous times in our
lives. So, now everyone has the perfect excuse they were looking for when
trying to remember why one's memory seems to be playing tricks on you! ;-)

For those who might be curious as to what the term "Walk-In" is in reference
to, I give you a short definition. Be warned! >8-0  ... We are now entering
to the realms of irrational psychic territory:

WALK-IN: A disembodied spirit who makes an agreement to trade places with a
spirit currently incarnated in a physical body. According to the lore, there
are occasions when it appears to be more expedient to go to the local used
car lot and pick out an old clunker, rather than having to break in a brand
new auto from scratch. After all, who needs to experience diaper rash if you
don't have to. Typically the spirit disembarking is troubled, depressed, or
exhausted in some way and needs a rest, or perhaps he/she has accomplished
most of what he/she had intended to do, and has subsequently made the
decision to "sell" a perfectly useable vehicle that still has several more
decades of life left in it. When the title is "sold" the new spirit assumes
"ownership" of the car, and typically, (though not necessarily ALL the time)
assumes all the memories of the prior individual's vehicle. There tends to
be a certain amount of disorientation at first, even a sense of
disassociation. After a while, however, things settle down and it's back to
business as usual - with a few noticeable twists. Externally, to the rest of
the world, the individual typically appears to have gone through some kind
of a transformative experience, as if they have taken on a new leaf in life.
"What happened to you, Fred? You've changed!" Sometimes, "reentry" can be
rough in the sense that one's prior life-style may be completely trashed, or
a divorce ensues, or one makes a radical career change. It is assumed that
the "purchaser" is someone experienced at purchasing used cars and knows how
to drive them off the lot without ramming it into a telephone pole a mere
block away. It is said that those adept at assuming the title of used cars
are typically older souls who wish to continue working on some kind of
life-task. Typically, such "life tasks" have something to do with improving
the human condition.

Final comment. Obviously, there are no valid statistics on the matter. ;-)
Nevertheless, from a strictly subjective POV, I suspect "walk-in" phenomenon
may be more common than many might assume... assuming one believes in this
stuff.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com