2009/9/14 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com>:
> At 06:38 AM 9/14/2009, you wrote:
>
>> I'll wait for the detail of your ideas regarding the electronics, but
>> it seems to me a few dollars worth of components would be sufficient
>> for the computing and electrical "equipment", which could boil down to
>> a tiny "USB key" with some relatively simple microcontroller and power
>> electronics design work. A full blown computer plus a programmable
>> power supply are certainly not necessary.
>
> "Programmable power supply" means that the electrolysis protocol can be
> automatically followed. That's pretty simple. It's not different from the
> "power electronics design work" you mention. By the way, I was primarily a
> printed circuit designer for years, I still have the business, but the
> design work is now being done in Brazil, I'm really rusty, but I have the
> Altium software.

That's good. The design work could be simplified by starting from a
reference design, what do you think of this one:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51798a.pdf

>> Regarding current reversal:
>>
>> a/ no it's not stupid I don't think, indeed I seem to recall platinum
>> works as a cathode substrate in those experiments (i.e. pits are
>> produced). But you'll have to verify that the plating on the cathode
>> does redissolve when it becomes an anode, things are not exactly
>> symmetrical as Cl2 will have evolved from the solution in the first
>> run I think. Anyone knows?
>>
>> b/ if it does redissolve,  the electrode on the bottom doesn't have to
>> be a permanent anode as you proposed, it could be an extension of one
>> of only two electrodes (rather than three), which would thus occupy
>> one side and the bottom, agreed?
>
> No, it should be separate, very simple to do, and it allows the "bottom"
> anode to function with either polarity. Otherwise we would have to do the
> de-plating run as a separate run.

Good point. You're right, three electrodes is better.

> The cathode doesn't care whether the
> palladium in the electrolyte was added as a chemical at the beginning or was
> dissolved from the anode. The bottom anode can be silver, it's just there to
> scavenge palladium.
> So we'd have two platinum wire electrodes which do alternate duty as
> cathode/anode, and a bottom electrode which is probably silver foil, or some
> other metal with silver plating, or maybe silver plating on the bottom of
> the cell?

Silver would be eaten away and would plate out onto the cathode, so
this anode too would have to be Pt or Pt plated I guess. Which makes
me wonder, Pd is close to Pt chemically, so why would it anodically
dissolve in this particular electrolyte if Pt doesn't ? I know Pd does
anodically dissolve in (at last some) acidic electrolytes, but in
LiCl, I have no idea. And if it does, will it dissolve at a
sufficiently high rate? Help, is there an electrochemist on the plane?

Michel