Jed sez:

> It seems exceedingly odd to me . . .  Zimmerman must realize that
> many of the people doing these experiments are distinguished
> professors and the like, with deep knowledge of physics. He might
> suppose that Johnson or I are ignoramuses and this argument never
> occurred to us. But does he seriously believe that of someone like
> Fleischmann, Bockris, Srinivasan or Iyengar? Does he imagine that the
> Chairman of the Indian AEC does not know how much radiation a plasma
> fusion reaction produces? That's crazy.
>
> Obviously, the researchers know this, and they assume that some sort
> of aneutronic reaction is occurring. They could be wrong, but there
> is no chance they overlooked widely known laws of physics. Speaking
> for myself, when I read the Wall Street Journal article in March
> 1989, this conclusion flashed through my mind in an instant: "if this
> is true, they must have discovered some totally new from of fusion
> that does not produce deadly radiation." I was pretty familiar with
> plasma fusion, since one of my roommates in college worked in the
> plasma fusion lab. I knew instantly this could not be anything
> remotely like plasma fusion, or Fleischmann and Pons would be dead.
> It does not take a lot of scientific knowledge to know that.
>
> If you are still in contact with Zimmerman you should tell him this.
> He is suffering from a strange delusion about people and their
> knowledge.

I am not. But even if I was, what good would that do? I presume you weren't
being serious.

> It reminds me of Creationists who bring up the problem of the eye and
> ask how could it have developed incrementally. They know so little of
> evolution they do not realize that Darwin himself in his initial
> publication tackled this problem and produced an elegant solution.

Last evening my wife and I watched a wonderful NOVA program, a 2 hour
installment titled "Darwin's Darkest Hour." Some of the controversy that
swirled around Darwin's anguish over whether to publish or not to publish
his findings would, I think, be good chicken soup for many CF researchers,
scientists, and journalists who are intimately involved within this
increasingly contentious field of research.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks